The Georgian Marine Fishing Cluster aims to unite the companies operating in sea fishing in the city of Poti, deepening ties and directing energy toward solving common problems.
A meeting of cluster members was held on January 18, 2023 to discuss the problems in the fishing sector.
Most of the cluster members have purchased fishing vessels in the Republic of Turkey with the co-financing of "Enterprise Georgia".
At the meeting, was discussed the issue of the upcoming payment schedule for the obligations taken by the companies to the financial institutions, the accumulated amount to be paid, and the issues that lead to financial problems.
Fishermen consider the main cause of the financial problem to be:
- The involvement of an excessive number of Turkish ships in fishing sharply reduces the activity of Georgian fishermen.
- Overfishing, which in turn leads to a decrease in fish quality and yield.
- The fixed price of fish delivery, which is determined in dollars and under the conditions of the current exchange rate, further reduces the income of fishermen.
- Increased fuel/diesel prices, which are a significant component of entrepreneurs' costs.
- The high exchange rate at the time of taking the obligations.
Taking into account the listed reasons, entrepreneurs request support first of all:
- On the restructuring of financial obligations, not in the short term but in the long term;
- On increasing the terms of the existing support package from the state.
After overcoming the financial difficulties with the active involvement of various agencies, work should be started on studying the existing challenges in order to ensure the sustainable development of the Georgian fishing industry and the improvement of the social environment of fishermen.
With the joint efforts of the Georgian marine fishing cluster and Georgian companies, we will be able to strengthen, develop and expand the marine and fishing sector of Georgia. Utilization of new export markets and promotion of Georgian production.